At a glance
- Roots can damage your property if they’re not controlled. They can lift sidewalks and driveways, crack walls and foundations, and even break pipes.
- It is best advised to take professional help for removing the encroaching roots.
- There are many affordable tree services or tree stump removal in Melbourne, like Same Day Tree Works.
How to treat and prevent tree root damage?
Trees’ roots can be a problem in your home, especially if they infringe on the foundation.
Luckily, there are ways to stop tree roots from advancing on your home.
If your tree is causing problems in your yard, consider extracting it entirely by removing the root system or cutting off just above ground level and allowing the tree to regrow.
However, if you want to keep the tree and stop the roots from growing into your home, there are some things you can do.
- First, ensure there are no leaks or cracks in the walls where water can get inside and rot out the wood underneath. If there are, fix them before doing any other steps.
- Next, remove any dead branches touching your house, so they aren’t touching anything important, like electrical wires or plumbing pipes.
- If possible, trim branches over windows or doors so they don’t block light or air flow into these areas.
- Call a professional arborist who has experience with root removal. They’ll be able to help guide you in removing the roots safely or hiring someone else to do it.
Damage caused by encroaching roots
Roots can wreak havoc on your property. When they break through the surface of the ground, they compete with your grass for resources and space. They may grow under concrete or asphalt, causing the materials to crack or break apart over time.
The most common type of encroaching root is called “crown spread.” It can cause severe damage to your lawn, including:
- Damage to the grass at the base of the tree/shrub.
- Discolouration of grass due to damage from shade and moisture changes.
- Slow growth or death of grass in areas where the roots are present.
- A decline in water retention due to less root structure in the soil.
Signs of root damage
Here are some things you should look out for:
- Roots that are growing right through the middle of your driveway or lawn.
- Holes in walls, cracks in foundations and floors, stained or damaged concrete slabs, cracked asphalt driveways and paths, damage to underground pipes, and cracks in patios or walkways.
- Roots pushing up concrete slabs around the edge of your driveway or sidewalk.
Why take professional help for removing encroaching tree roots?
When you notice encroaching tree roots, try to avoid removing them yourself. Your best choice is a professional tree stump removal service near you.
There are many reasons why you should get a tree stump removal service in Melbourne:
- Professional arborists have the equipment and training to perform the job safely.
- They can let you know what they found during the inspection and how much root removal will cost.
- Tree stump removal service providers in Melbourne use environmentally friendly methods that won’t harm other plants or wildlife in your yard.
If tree roots aren’t handled carefully and correctly, they can cause dangerous sinkholes, structural damage, or even the collapse of your house or property.
Summing it up
Tree roots are one of the most common causes of structural damage to homes, and they can happen even if there aren’t any trees near your property.
The good news is that there’s an easy way to stop tree roots from encroaching on your home: contact us – Same Day Tree Works.